StatCounter

Friday 17 July 2009

Now do you see why Tamiflu is being prescribed so freely?

I was wondering why this Labour government were happy to have Tamiflu prescribed almost on-demand, when previously there were restrictions in force. Then I read The jobbing doctor (my emphasis):
"Jobbing Doctor was talking to a colleague yesterday at a social event. We were sharing experiences about the current Pig flu epidemic, and the behaviour of our leaders in the profession. His assessment was not very charitable (I actually think that 'Sir' Liam Donaldson hasn't done too badly).

We then mused on whether we would take Tamiflu or not. Our general view is that it has such a marginal effect that it is not worth it.

He then told me why the Government were very keen for us to prescribe it to everyone who has a sniffle and a high temperature: you see, most of the stockpiled Tamiflu was for a previous flu scare, and it expires (passes its sell-by date) in the early part of this Autumn (2009) when it effectively and officially becomes useless (as opposed to being pretty useless anyway).

This is why they are peddling it.


Explains a lot, doesn't it!"
I wonder if that is the case. The fact that I even wonder if our government could be so duplicitous speaks volumes for the way that they have acted since 1997... Of course the fact that most patients will have to pay a £7.20 prescription charge in order to get their Tamiflu I am sure has not even been considered by this financially challenged government.

No comments: