StatCounter

Thursday 30 August 2018

Jeremy Corbyn 'ignored Israeli Labour's invitation to visit Yad Vashem', Isaac Herzog says per The Jewish Chronicle

I seem to recall that I queried why Jeremy Corbyn was so fond of paying homage to victims of Israeli attacks, whether civilians or terrorists but I don't recall him ever paying his respects to dead Jewish civilians. This JC article https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/ reveals that it's worse than I thought:

'Jeremy Corbyn ignored an invitation from Israel's Labour Party to visit the Yad Vashem Holocaust museum in Jerusalem, the party's former leader has said.

Isaac Herzog told the JC he wrote to the Labour leader to make the offer in 2016 but never received a reply.

In an interview to mark his appointment as chairman of the Jewish Agency, Mr Herzog also backed Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for condemning Mr Corbyn.

"Two years ago, while I was still leader of the opposition and the Israeli Labour Party, I sent a written invitation to Jeremy Corbyn, as leader of Labour's Israeli sister party, to come to Jerusalem and visit the Yad Vashem museum," Mr Herzog said. "Sadly, the invitation wasn't answered."'

Has Jeremy Corbyn ever paid his respects to the dead Jews commemorated at Yad Vashem? If not, why hasn't this doughty opponent of antisemitism not done so? I think we all know why. 

No comments: