StatCounter

Monday 28 April 2008

Humph again

I have been catching up on some reading and just dipped back into "Narrow dog to Carcassonne" as an antidote to the Peter Oborne, Simon Carr and Peter Hitchens authored books that I have finished (of which more in the coming weeks). Almost immediately there is a description of a conversation about the great Jazz musicians being dead and then there is this comment:

"Humphrey Lyttleton is OK., he said. Thank God, I said, something beside remains."


So once again I am sitting partly remembering the Jazz but mostly the laughter I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue gave me over the many years of listening. I'm glad that at the last live show I attended, the whole audience stood and applauded his entrance and his exit and showed him the love we all felt for an English institution.

I hope wherever he is now, he has his favourite discs and that Samantha is happily sitting on his right hand.


There is a nice obituary for Humph in The Times entitled "Farewell to Humphrey Lyttelton, the old stager who kept nation laughing" and it includes some more Samantha gags two of which I shamelessly reproduce here:

"Samantha has to go now as she’s off to meet her Italian gentleman friend who’s taking her out for an ice-cream. She says she likes to spend the evening licking the nuts off a large Neapolitan"


"After tasting the meat pies, Samantha said she liked Mr Dewhurst’s beef in ale; although she preferred his tongue in cider"

No comments: