StatCounter

Tuesday 4 January 2011

Islamic converts

The BBC have today been full of discussions about the rising number of white Britons converting to Islam. Comments from converts such as this have been much in evidence:
'"Islam caught my eye and I wanted to look further into it - the people, the culture - and I carried on studying it and studying it, even after school. Living in Birmingham, I was surrounded by the religion."

"Then when I became Muslim, I sort of calmed down. I wanted to stay at home studying on the internet or reading books. And I'm more happy than I was - I'm proud of who I am, I've got a certain identity."'

This article ends thus:
'"[Converts have] authentically belonged to two traditions and should act as a conduit to show each side that we share far more than we differ."'

I wonder if the BBC will run a similar piece about the experiences of those few brave souls who have managed to convert away from Islam and their experiences; somehow I doubt it as that would show another side of the 'Religion of Peace'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard that interview and wondered why the BBC didn't ask a very simple question to the young female convert.

If it had been me, I would have asked:
"What advice would you like to give to a young woman living in a m
Muslim country who has recently decided to convert from Islam to Christianity.
"