StatCounter

Saturday 1 January 2011

Android phone or iPhone?

I am in the process of choosing a new smartphone and am trying not to buy an Apple iPhone as a) I want a hardware keyboard and b) I am not an Apple fanboi. I was looking at Windows Mobile 7 but there are some key omissions from its feature list:
No threaded e-mail
No universal search
No Internet tethering
No Twitter integration
Alphabetical-only app list organization

So I was amused to note the latest news of os failures for Android and iPhone. The first relates to iPhones and seems to be a variant of the Clocks changing alarm bug, in this latest instance one off alarms set for 2011 will fail. There is a work around - simply create a recurring alarm at the time you need to be woken up and then disable it once you are awake. The Android bug seems less clear cut, but it is claimed that:
'For at least the last couple versions, Android has been plagued with a couple extremely serious bugs in its text messaging subsystem that can ultimately end up causing you to text the wrong contact -- even contacts that you've never texted before.

...

More seriously, though, there's also an open issue in Android's bug tracking system -- inexplicably marked "medium" priority -- where sent text messages can appear to be in the correct thread and still end up being sent to another contact altogether. In other words, unless you pull up the Message Details screen after the fact, you might not even know the grievous act you've committed until your boss, significant other, or best friend -- make that former best friend -- texts you back.'
This Android bug seems potentially more serious to me but it has least made up my mind for me; I'll stock to WinMo 6.1 for the time being!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently took delivery of an HTC Desire using Android. I can't fault it.