StatCounter

Friday 2 May 2008

Not quite 1997 at the BBC tonight

Chris Evans on his Radio 2 show this evening said something along the lines of:

"It's strange seeing everyone walking around with their heads hanging down... I mean... what's happened... not that we don't like Boris, of course, but just that..."



Somewhat different from 1997 if you remember Jane Garvey's recollections:

"Jane Garvey: I do remember I walked back in - we were broadcasting then from Broadcasting House in the centre of London, all very upmarket in those days - and the corridors of Broadcasting House were strewn with empty champagne bottles. [Hearty laugh from Peter Allen] I'll always remember that. Er... not that the BBC were celebrating in any way, shape or form…

Peter Allen: No not all...

Jane Garvey: ...and actually I think it's fair to say that in the intervening years... er... the BBC, if it ever was in love with Labour has probably fallen out of love with Labour, or learnt to fall back in, or basically just learnt to be in the middle somewhere which is how it should be. Um, but there was always the suggestion that the BBC was full of pinkos who couldn't wait for Labour to get back into power. That may have been the case - who knows - but as I say there have been a few problems along the way over the last ten years. Wish I hadn't started this now. "

No comments: