StatCounter

Wednesday 7 May 2008

Where to begin? (one year on)

Sorry to be a little self-referential, but one year ago I started this blog for something constructive to do, rather than shouting at the radio news and so irritating Mrs NotaSheep.

My first post on 7 May 2007 was on BBC bias and read thus:

"One of the first subjects that made me realise that the Beeb wasn't the source of impartial information that I had been lead to believe it was, was its coverage of the EEC/EU. The unquestioning support of the European Project started out as an annoyance but as I read more about how the EU functioned and aggregated power to itself at the expense of its constituent countries governments, I began to realise that I was being fed a politically biased line. This feeling was exacerbated during the 1990s as the BBC used Europe as a stick with which to beat the hated (by the BBC at least) Conservative government."


A year on from that initial post, I feel first that I have been banging on about the same subjects but also that the tide is turning. Whilst a year ago if I mentioned such concerns I got a look of blank indifference from family and friends, now it seems that many are "seeing the light" regarding the BBC and also the fraud that is Gordon Brown. "GB" was indeed the subject of my second article a full four days later, entitled "Mini rant regarding BBC and Gordon Brown":

"It's my own fault, I was asking for it; I shouldn't have done it, in fact yesterday I swore I wouldn't do it again. In my defence today,it was early, I was tired, the car radio was tuned to Radio 4. So what do I hear? I hear that GB will change the type of Premiership to one that is serious, sober and .... and that he is determined to mark the end of the era of celebrity. Serious, from a man with those photos that supposedly may come back to haunt him? Sober, from a man who has been fixated on power for so long. from a man who...... Now to his wanting to end of the era of celebrity. I must be confused, I am sorry and I apologise for this, but wasn't it GB who was first politician to comment on the earth shattering Shilpa Shetty affair? Wasn't it also GB who had "secret" drinks with that political guru Kylie Minogue. I presume he wanted to keep that meeting secret and that it was leaked to the Sun by a political enemy, maybe not... Maybe he has always admired Kylie's musical ability and shapely bottom. Maybe he admires "Kylie Minogue, the pop sex goddess of the moment, hip chick, gay icon, and a fair old belter out of a dance tune" (David Lister, Independent, 23.02.02), I wonder why? I am sure that the lunch had a serious purpose, who else attended? Stephen Fry, one of my favourite comics and I am sure one of GB's as well. The purpose of the lunch - pick one of these two - to get people behind GB in his crusade to guarantee every child in the world a place in school or to try and soften his dour image. If the former it would be laudable, if deluded; if the latter then the word hypocrite comes to mind. I am sure that GB with his renowned attention to detail has now learnt who all the major celebrities are and is now better briefed than he was when he misidentified Jermaine Jackson's wife as Jermaine at an official function earlier this year. Well how should GB have known that one of the Jackson 5 was a man.? This is a man unworried by celebrity so he wouldn't have watched Celebrity Big Brother, or read a paper about the programme, would he? Hold on, what about Shilpa Shetty (above)?"


One year on the sober, serious Gordon Brown has been exposed to all for the politically inept loser that I knew he was. It is now really only elements of the Labour Party and the BBC that will back him to the hilt, right up until the moment that he has to leave office - when they will transfer their allegiance to the next leader of the Labour party.

No comments: