StatCounter

Monday 2 March 2009

"the underlying strength of the U.K. will remain"

I was perusing the online Wall Street Journal over the weekend when I came across an article that seemed odd. Th article was pointing out all the positives in the UK economy with nary a word about the negative, most peculiar I thought as I read
"Rather than exceptional, Britain's experience is a local version of a global economic phenomenon. The U.K. acted quickly to stabilize and repair its banks, and to get credit flowing again to its small firms."


What rubbish is this I thought as I read
"What about the U.K.'s long-term public finances? Like most G-7 economies, Britain has opted to borrow to cover the costs of its banking rescue, a targeted fiscal stimulus and the rising cyclical costs of supporting those temporarily out of work. Tax revenues have inevitably been affected by falling growth. But even this new borrowing still leaves the U.K. with a public debt that is not out of line with other European Union and OECD countries."


Then I looked at the top of the article and discovered that the author was Peter Mandelson, suddenly all became clear.

No comments: