StatCounter

Wednesday 16 February 2011

Complaining to the BBC

If you have been following this blog for a while then you will know that I do on occasions make complaints to the BBC about bias in their news coverage. Last August I complained about some blatant anti-Israel bias and had an interesting, and in one respect illuminating, correspondence with BBC staff. In January Tarik Kafala, the BBC's Middle East Web Editor, advised me to contact the 'Editorial Complaints Unit', which I did. I have just discovered an email from this unit that had slipped my attention, it reads thus:
'Dear NotaSheep

I’m afraid you’ve been incorrectly advised to contact the Editorial Complaints Unit, as our remit is confined to the question of whether there has been a breach of the standards expressed in the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines in the content of specific items broadcast or published by the BBC.

Responsibility for the running order and subject matter of news bulletins and news online content lies with the news editors concerned, and the evaluation of their judgement does not fall within the remit of this unit; rather this is a matter for BBC management, to whom I have forwarded your email. They will be in touch with a further response in due course.

If you’d like to know more about the BBC’s complaints process you’ll find it explained on the BBC website, along with a link to the full guidelines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complaints_process.shtml

Yours sincerely

Alison Wilson
Complaints Manager
Editorial Complaints Unit
5170 White City
London W12 7TS '
And so the BBC's delaying tactics march onwards.

I have replied to Alison Wilson:
'Please could you let me know who you have passed this complaint to as I have yet to have a reply. Also rather than inform me of the BBC's complaints procedure, maybe you should advise Tarik Kafala, your Middle East Web editor, who advised me to contact you..

Kind regards
NotaSheep '

I have also emailed Tarik Kafala:
'Why did you advise me to contact the Editorial Complaints Unit re my complaint about the bias you showed in your 30 August 2010 bulletin, when as you can see from the response I have had from that unit, it does not fall under their remit? As the Middle East editor should you not be better informed about BBC complaints procedures?

Incidentally I have yet to receive a reply to my last email to you.

Regards

NotaSheep'

I am not giving up on this one but I am getting the feeling that the BBC would rather I did.

1 comment:

Grant said...

Unbelievable !
Could you imagine if these clowns were trying to run a small business or profession ?
However, " I salute your indefatigability " !