StatCounter

Sunday 2 October 2011

Another victory for Islamic terrorism?

Lori Dorn relates a harrowing experience she had at JFK recently. I have not edited her story but will comment at the end:
'At what point does the need for security eclipse human dignity and compassion?

Yesterday I went through the imaging scanner at JFK Terminal 4 for my Virgin America flight to San Francisco.  Evidently they found something, because after the scan, I was asked to step aside to have my breast area examined.  I explained to the agent that I was a breast cancer patient and had a bilateral mastectomy in April and had tissue expanders put in to make way for reconstruction at a later date.  

I told her that I was not comfortable with having my breasts touched and that I had a card in my wallet that explains the type of expanders, serial numbers and my doctor’s information (pictured) and asked to retrieve it. 

This request was denied.  Instead, she called over a female supervisor who told me the exam had to take place.  I was again told that I could not retrieve the card and needed to submit to a physical exam in order to be cleared.  She then said, “And if we don’t clear you, you don’t fly” loud enough for other passengers to hear.  And they did.  And they stared at the bald woman being yelled at by a TSA Supervisor. 

To my further dismay, my belongings, including my computer, were completely out of sight. I had no choice but to allow an agent to touch my breasts in front of other passengers.  

I just didn’t understand why these agents were so insensitive to the situation. I would have been happy to show her which bag was mine and have her retrieve the card, but she did not allow even that. I have been through emotional and physical hell this past year due to breast cancer.  The way I was treated by these TSA agents added a shitload of insult to injury and caused me a great deal of humiliation.

I understand the need for safety when flying, but there is also a need for those responsible to be compassionate and sensitive to each situation.  These agents were neither.

I can only comfort myself with the fact that Karma is always circular.'
Lori Dorn is right to complain at the treatment she received but the blame should be laid firmly at the door of Islamic terrorists. The security personel at airports around the world are (over)reacting to the efforts of Islamic terrorists to hide explosives in more and more devious ways. We have had explosives hidden in shoes and in underwear and also rumours of explosives hidden by surgery.

6 comments:

Bill said...

No just more state fear mongering. Scared people are willing slaves.

Anonymous said...

If this story is unedited, which it appears to be after having checked her own blog, then this is perhaps the most shameful act you've conducted on this blog. Yes, there's no doubt that acts of Islamic terrorism have resulted in increased security, sometimes to this upsetting extent. However, for you to pounce on someone's obvious pain and anguish in order to further your own views on Islam/terrorism is utterly sickening in itself.

Not a sheep said...

Bill: You are partially right, governments like us cowed but the Islamic terrorists aren't imaginary, they do want to kill as many of us infidels as they can.

Anon: How pathetic you are 'If this story is unedited, which it appears to be after having checked her own blog' - So why the 'how'? It was unedited, I wouldn't edit as powerful and traumatic a piece as that. As for defending my reposting and commenting, I won't; I know that I did this from pure motives and that clearly you are at heart either a troll or a ***t. Either way please go away and bother some other blogger, I have had more than enough of you.

Not a sheep said...

Anon: Oh I forgot - NCF

Anonymous said...

I dont agree - Bill is right - its security theatre. The way to catch these people is through intelligence. Humiliating travellers in airports serves a different purpose.

Not a sheep said...

There are indeed better ways of ensuring airport security - http://notasheepmaybeagoat.blogspot.com/2010/11/first-its-fast-theres-almost-no-line.html - but until we bite that bullet, I am afraid that we will have to suffer the theatre...