StatCounter

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Graham Dilley R.I.P.

I tweeted earlier about the sad death of Graham Dilley today but I want to say more. Graham Dilley was one of the England 1981 test team that first got me interested in cricket when at school. Graham Dilley was a fine fast bowler but in that Headingly Test Match he also showed how good a batsman he was. In that famous partnership with Ian Botham that put on 117 runs, I believe Graham Dilley scored 56 of the runs;  he all but matched Ian Botham!

Graham Dilley was more than just a one match player, he also performed magnificently against the West Indies in 1988, taking 9 wickets for just over a hundred in 50 overs.

Graham Dilley, a great test cricketer, by all accounts a great coach and man. More personally when I first met Mrs NotaSheep it transpired that she too was a fan of Graham Dilley, although Mrs NotaSheep's interests in Graham Dilley were not purely cricket related.

No comments: