StatCounter

Monday 3 December 2007

Beyond satire?

Hugo Rifkind has written a nicely satirical piece in the Times that satirises the Harman/Dromey home life. " refuse to recognise gender roles, which is why some people call me Harriet Harperson. Still, in this family my husband tends to handle the money. He’s Jack Dromey, the Labour Party treasurer.

“Jack?” I say to him, as he is about to go into the bathroom. “There’s a red letter. We don’t seem to have paid our last gas bill.” “Gas bill?” says Jack. “What the hell is a gas bill?”

“You know,” I say, pausing by the front door. “It’s the bill we pay. To the people who provide us with gas.”

Jack looks at me as though I have gone mad. “People provide us with gas?” he says. “It doesn’t just turn up in the pipes?”

“Well, no,” I say. Jack rolls his eyes. “Typical. Nice of somebody to bother bloody telling me.”"

Read the rest; but even as I do it saddens me that laugh as we might these fools are in power.


However as I have been saying for a while and as now is becoming common currency, once a government starts to be treated with derision, it is all but over.

It would appear that Labour is heading for electoral meltdown in Scotland and their English vote seems as soft as soft can be. The worry is that they have damaged this country so much over the last 10 years that there may be no way to rescue it.

No comments: