StatCounter

Tuesday 12 October 2010

Marxists in the Labour (shadow) Cabinet - off on a slight tangent

The subject of (former) Marxists such as Peter Mandelson and Alistair Darling serving in the last Labour cabinet is one that I have covered before and will again when I have got around to analysing the present mottley crew. However as an aside I have just read George Galloway in the Daily Record state that:
'Andrew Marr is a Scotsman and when I first met him he was a raving Marxist - a bit like Alistair Darling and Dr John Reid...

Nowadays Marr, the BBC man, is of course a pet poodle of the Establishment against which he once barked as a Scots terrier.

...

But it was when Andrew Marr - the former seller of Trotskyite newspapers - started laying in to Arthur Scargill that smoke came from my ears.

"Scargill was... a Marxist," exclaimed Marr in disgust, as if most miners' leaders throughout the 20th century hadn't been Marxists. And, of course, as if he hadn't been a Marxist himself.

...

a quarter of a century ago, I myself had a conversation with Andrew 'Marxist' Marr about this very subject, the destruction of the mining communities, this very man Scargill and, indeed, these very 'delusions' - that another world was possible but you had to fight for it.

Let's just say Marr, like Saul of Tarsus, has experienced a great conversion from one point of view to its diametric opposite. In which case he should be a man about it and, AJP Taylor-like, he should stand up in front of the cameras and state his case...

How he, a clever young Cambridge man, had spent years of his life as an absolutely deluded insurrectionist. But he knows better now.

Come to think of it, he's not a poor man's Taylor, he's a poor man's Andrew Roberts, the rabid, right-wing historian.'
An interesting accusation to make about Andrew Marr, I wonder how he would respond to such a claim about him having a Marxist past... Now having quoted George Galloway to support me, I feel I need a wash.

No comments: