StatCounter

Sunday 21 August 2011

Away from my normal subject matter - A book recommendation

Now that Mrs NotaSheep has finally finished reading 'One Day' I can blog about this book. I am not a fan of chick-lit and only read 'One Day' on holiday earlier this year because I had finished my books and Mrs NotaSheep was still on book 1. I was surprised to find within a chapter or two that I was transfixed and had started to care about both Dexter and Emma. By half way through the book I was empathising with Emma more than Dexter and rooting for the two of them to finally get together.

SPOILER ALERT

When Emma and Dexter did get together I felt relieved, as if they were old friends who I really cared about. This made the horrible and sudden death of Emma a real shock when I read it and Mrs NotaSheep was distraught when she read that upsetting passage. The ending of the book, showing the early story from the other's point of view was clever and moving. What was most interesting is that both Mrs NotaSheep and I both finished the book and immediately went back and read the first few chapters again.

'One Day' is a really good read, an excellent beach book, and that is why I am worried about going to see the film that opens on Wednesday. I feel that I know Emma and Dexter; what they look like & sound like and I just know that Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess will disappoint me in one or more way! We will certainly go and see the film but I predict we will come away preferring the book to the film

No comments: