StatCounter

Sunday 28 August 2011

Do you think that mohels charges too much for performing a bris?

How much does a mohel charge? I have no idea but it can't be as much as is reported at Healthcare Savvy where I read:
'I have recently had an interesting experience which left me completely shocked.  This is not a posting about whether or not to get a circumcision, just at the astronomical costs involved.

My son was born 14 mo ago and because he was born in a Birth Center, he could not get circumcised at birth.  Our hospital (Cambridge Hospital in MA) does not have a pediatric surgeon for this procedure so we were given a referral for a doctor at Mass General (Boston, MA).  When I called Mass General to get a quote on the price, I got the following:
$23,000
(includes Facility, Physician, Anesthesia)

This procedure is less than 30 minutes; the doctor himself even stated that this is one of the easiest procedures.  I’ve researched prices for other countries and found a high of $1200.

We are insured so presumably my insurance (Harvard Pilgram/United) has a discounted rate but I’m not able to get access to this price.  The insurance would presumably cover 80% of the cost but I would be responsible for co-insurance, deductible, and who knows what else.

It took 15 calls and 3 hours to get the information relating to the $23k.  It’s ridiculous that it takes this long but also that a hospital could charge this much.'

$23,000 seems rather steep to me for what is after all just a little snip! I cannot believe that a mohel charges even 1% of that.

No comments: