StatCounter

Wednesday 30 November 2011

The 10 most quotable movies of all time

I found this article on Cable Providers and am not convinced (my comments in italics):
1. The Godfather - Never watched The Godfather, yes I know.... But I just haven't.
o “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.”
o “Leave the gun, take the cannolis.”
o “It’s a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.”

2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Wonderful film and oh so quotable
o “It’s just a flesh wound.”
o “Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?”
o “We are the Knights who say… Ni!”
o “I don’t want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.”

3. Caddyshack – Never watched it and is it worth it?

4. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy – Never watched it and is it worth it?

5. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery - I quite like the Austin Power films but more for the set-piece parodies than the not particularly clever dialogue
o “Oh, behave.”
o “Yeah, baby!”
o “Throw me a frickin’ bone here!”

6. A Few Good Men - A classic film and "You can't handle the truth" is a favourite of Mrs NotaSheep and me.
o “You can’t handle the truth!”
o “I have two books at my bedside, Lieutenant, the Marine Corps Code of Conduct and the King James Bible. The only proper authorities I am aware of are my commanding officer Colonel Nathan R. Jessep and the Lord our God.
o “I run my unit how I run my unit. You want to investigate me, roll the dice and take your chances. I eat breakfast 300 yards from 4000 Cubans who are trained to kill me, so don’t think for one second that you can come down here, flash your badge, and make me nervous.”

7. Forrest Gump - A rather dull film I thought
o “My momma always said, ‘Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.’”
o “Stupid is as stupid does.”
o “Sometimes, I guess there just aren’t enough rocks.”
o “My name’s Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump.”
o “ Run, Forrest! Run!”

8. Jerry Maguire - Never seen it and have no real desire to do so
o “Show me the money!”
o “You complete me.”
o “I love him! I love him for the man he wants to be. And I love him for the man he almost is.”
o “Shut up, just shut up. You had me at “hello”.”
o “That’s more than a dress. That’s an Audrey Hepburn movie.”

9. Steel Magnolias – Never watched it and is it worth it?

10. Casablanca – What a film, a true classic
o “Here’s looking at you, kid.”
o “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.”
o “We’ll always have Paris.”
o “I stick my neck out for nobody.”
o “Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”


But for quotable films how could they miss The Graduate?
Here are just some of the most memorable lines and exchanges:
"Mrs Robinson, you're trying to seduce me...Aren't you?"

"Are you here for an affair, sir?"

"Mrs. Robinson, if you don't mind my saying so, this conversation is getting a little strange."

"Do you have a special grudge against me? Do you feel a particularly strong resentment? Is there something I've said that's caused this contempt, or is it just things I stand for that you despise? "

"Listen to me. What happened between Mrs. Robinson and me was nothing. It didn't mean anything. We might just as well have been shaking hands.
Mr. Robinson: Shaking hands? Well, that's not saying much for my wife, is it? "

Mr McGuire: I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.

Mr. Braddock: Ben, this whole idea sounds pretty half-baked.
Benjamin: Oh, it's not. It's completely baked.

"Goddamn, that's great. So old Elaine Robinson got started in a Ford."


And what about Citizen Kane?
"Rosebud"

"Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Switzerland... he was thrown out of a lot of colleges."

And what about the film that Mrs NotaSheep always confuses with Casablanca - Brief Encounter?

"I wish you'd stop talking. I wish you'd stop prying and trying to find things out. I wish you were dead - no I don't mean that. That was silly and unkind. But I wish you'd stop talking. "

"Dr. Alec Harvey: I love you. I love you. You love me too. It's no use pretending it hasn't happened cause it has.
Laura Jesson: Yes it has. I don't want to pretend anything either to you or to anyone else. But from now on, I shall have to. That's what's wrong. Don't you see? That's what spoils everything. That's why we must stop, here and now, talking like this. We're neither of us free to love each other. There's too much in the way. There's still time, if we control ourselves and behave like sensible human beings. There's still time."

"Fred Jesson: You've been a long way away.
Laura Jesson: Yes.
Fred Jesson: Thank you for coming back to me. "


Do you have any better suggestions of quotable films?

No comments: