StatCounter

Sunday 10 March 2013

The BBC respond, hmmm

Further to my on-going complaint to the BBC re Jeremy Bowen's choice of Rosh Hashonah to hold a Twitter debate, here's three emails that might be of interest...

11 April is the day... I wonder whn I will get a response?


1. Nota Sheep

5 Mar (5 days ago)
 
to Leanne
Dear Leanne

Thank you for your response and I am pleased that my complaint will be put before the Trustees.

I have two questions at this time:
1. Do you / the BBC accept that the BBC's last response relied largely upon a factually incorrect statement - regarding the date of Rosh Hashonah?
2. What date is the April meeting of the Trustees?

Kind regards

NotaSheep MaybeaGoat





2. Leanne Buckle

8 Mar (2 days ago)
 
to me

Dear Audience Member



Thank you for your further email.



I’m pleased to confirm the next Editorial Standards Committee meeting is on Thursday 11 April.



I think there has been a misunderstanding about what was meant in my response of 19 February and there is no factual error.  In your email of Monday, 4 March, you wrote:



“On 16 September 2012 at 6.06am Jeremy Bowen tweeted:



“Tomorrow (Monday) I’m answering your questions on the Mideast on twitter. Details are all here bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19601920”



The Senior Editorial Adviser noted that people who wished to submit questions were able to do so in advance via email and via Twitter and Facebook. Given that Rosh Hashanah did not commence until sundown that day, the Senior Editorial Strategy Adviser considered that observant Jews who wished to submit questions would have had the opportunity to do so before Jewish New Year began.'

This is factually incorrect, Rosh Hashonah started at sunset on 16 September not 17 September. Surely the BBC should have checked that fact before replying to me and relying upon that date. What is the BBC's Senior Editorial Adviser's position re the opportunity for observant Jews to ask questions now?”



We agree that the starting date and time of Rosh Hashanah is sundown on 16 September.  The point my letter was making was that, approximately 12 hours prior to sundown on 16 September, Jeremy Bowen alerted his followers on Twitter that he intended to host a Q&A session the following day.  Therefore, during the 12 hours after he had sent that Tweet and before sundown on 16 September, it was open to observant Jews to submit questions via Twitter, Facebook or email before Jewish new year began.  This would allow questions to be submitted in advance of the Q&A session and the responses would need to be reviewed after it had ended.  My response was not a suggestion that observant Jews would be able to participate in real time, but that they were able to submit question and subsequently see how they had been answered.



I hope this clarifies that point.



Yours faithfully  



Leanne Buckle



3. Nota Sheep

8 Mar (2 days ago)
 
to Leanne
Thank you for giving me that date.

I have re-read the pdf document and I suppose it could be read your way.

Regards

NotaSheep MaybeaGoat

No comments: