StatCounter

Thursday 5 June 2008

Child-free not childless

Shelagh Fogarty in today's Telegraph writes about women who choose to be freemale not just a female and I worried that I might have found a 5Live presenter without a child-centred focus:

"A new breed of women care about money, not men - others care only about having children. The rest of us, says Shelagh Fogarty, refuse to be categorised

...

She's quite a girl, is Freemale. She wants to spend her time and money as she wishes, isn't looking for love, and is "child-free not childless. She thinks relationships are increasingly irrelevant, emotionally high risk, and a lot of hard work".

The standard bearers among this new breed include Kylie Minogue, 40, Cameron Diaz, 35 - and, of course, the ladies of Sex and the City."



Sounds promising, maybe there could be 5Live programmes not centred around artificial insemination, child care etc. etc.

However, Shelagh Fogarty concludes that:

"To answer those awful, ill-mannered questions: no, I haven't chosen not to marry. I've chosen not to marry certain people so far. I haven't chosen not to have children, I'm just not into buying them. I'm not child-free either.

My life is gloriously full of children, because that's what happens when you're part of an extended family. So I'd ask Freemale and her more fertile sister to dance to their own tune, and I'll dance to mine. "



So my worries about agreeing with a 5Live presenter are assuaged as she is not child-free, I AM.

No comments: