StatCounter

Saturday 30 January 2010

"Employer told not to post advert for 'reliable' workers because it discriminates against 'unreliable' applicants"

Years ago I used to joke that if there was any more anti-discrimination legislation then pretty soon one wouldn't be able to discriminate on the grounds of ability. Well it looks as though that time has come:
"When it comes to hiring staff, there are plenty of legal pitfalls employers need to watch out for these days.

So recruitment agency boss Nicole Mamo was especially careful to ensure her advert for hospital workers did not offend on grounds of race, age or sexual orientation.

However, she hadn't reckoned on discriminating against a wholly different section of the community - the completely useless.

When she ran the ad past a job centre, she was told she couldn't ask for 'reliable' and 'hard-working' applicants because it could be offensive to unreliable people.

'In my 15 years in recruitment I haven't heard anything so ridiculous,' Mrs Mamo said yesterday.

'If the matter wasn't so serious I would be laughing out loud.

'Unfortunately it's extremely alarming. I need people who are hardworking and reliable - and I am pleased to discriminate in that way. If they're not then I really can't use them. The reputation of my business is on the line.

'Even the woman at the jobcentre agreed it was ridiculous but explained it was policy because they could get sued for being dicriminatory against unreliable people."
How did we get to this position? Can we get back to reality?

1 comment:

Mark said...

The idiocy is staggering. I shudder to think that such extreme silliness is not an isolated incident.