StatCounter

Friday 29 January 2010

Thank heavens for Tesco

"Thank heavens for Tesco, it keeps the scum out of Waitrose". So goes the old joke so I was not that surprised to read that a Tescos branch in Cardiff has put up a sign that says:
"‘To avoid causing embarrassment to others we ask that our customers are appropriately dressed when visiting our store (footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted).’"
The reason?
"While the dress code would appear to be common sense to the majority of shoppers, Tesco staff at St Mellons, Cardiff, said they were forced to put up the posters.

This is because increasing numbers of young women have taken to shopping in their nightwear after dropping their children off at school in the morning.

A shopper in her pyjamas is reported to have said "'I just don't understand it. I go in other shops in my pyjamas and they don't say anything.

'You used to always be allowed in Tescos. But not now, it is ridiculous and stupid. I've got lovely pairs of pyjamas, with bears and penguins on them. I've worn my best ones today, just so I look tidy.'

'I walked in with my trolley and the security guard came over and told me to leave,' said she said.

'He said it offends people. But I've never seen anyone offended.'

(The shopper) admitted she is often still in pyjamas in the morning after sorting out her children for nursery.

She said: 'It is just when I'm in a rush or busy with the kids. I haven't got time to get myself all dolled up.

'I would usually put a coat or something over the top and it's not like I'm flashing the flesh or anything."

"get myself all dolled up"! It's not getting dolled up, it's called getting dressed. Put a pair of tracksuit bottoms and a sweatshirt over the top of the pyjamas, have some self-respect and respect for others. You have just spent 7 hours in bed wearing pyjamas, do you think your fellow shoppers really want you wearing them and nothing else as you brush up against the fresh food displays?


Another disgruntled shopper said ‘I won't be bothering with Tesco anymore, I'm off to Aldi.’ Hmmm I may have to amend my opening line!

No comments: