StatCounter

Friday 25 June 2010

There'll always be an England

It has always irritated me that whilst Scotland & Wales have their own 'anthems' England does not, leading to the situation where English athletes at the Commonwealth games as well as footballers and Rugby players at World Cups receive medals or line up to God Save the Queen. God Save the Queen is the UK national anthem and I think that England using it as well cannot help but make the other parts of the United Kingdom think they are merely appendages to England (albeit that they are). I have long thought that England should have its own anthem, I would choose Land of Hope and Glory as that is good and rousing but I would be almost as happy with Jerusalem which will this year be England's anthem at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi.

So I was interested to hear that Greg Mulholland the Lib Dem MP for Leeds North West raised the matter in the House of Commons today:
'All the English Members of the House thoroughly enjoyed England's qualification yesterday, and it was wonderful to see the cross of St George flying. However, it is still frustrating to hear England singing the wrong anthem-the anthem of the United Kingdom. Following the historic decision to use "Jerusalem" at the Commonwealth games, may we have a debate in the House about properly establishing an English national anthem for when England, as opposed to the United Kingdom, compete?'


Sir George Young's reply was probably wrong as well as evasive (my comments in italics): 'I am sure that England's victory yesterday was celebrated not just in England but in Scotland and Wales.' I think that in many parts of Scotland and almost as many in Wales the hatred of the English is stronger than Unionists choose to believe

6 comments:

Grant said...

If I were english I would certainly go for "Land of Hope and Glory ".

Elgar was one of the great musical geniuses and never gets full credit, probably because he was english.

It is certainly an improvement on "Flower of Scotland ". The Corries wrote many better songs.

But, difficult to compete with "Land of my Fathers" or " Men of Harlech".

Mind you, I guess some loony Scot Nats might suggest "The Floral Dance" as an english National Anthem !!

Grant said...

PS

But you do raise some important issues.

Although a Scot, I was brought up in the South of England and have an english accent. So people here in Scotland assume I am english. I have only once encountered any hostility. I think you will find most Scots are more broad-minded on this question than the "wee numpties" are.

Grant said...

PPS !

When it comes to football, I do find it difficult to support England unless they are playing Germany. For me it is partly that most english players are not great role models, the fans behave badly and the english media obsession is off-putting.

On the other hand , I support England at cricket. They have so many admirable players and the "Barmy Army " are great. Do not take themselves too seriously.

Who is the better role model ? John "shagger" Terry or Andrew Strauss ?

Grant said...

PPPS !

Just putting in time before watching Portugal v Brazil.

At least they can swear at each other in the same language !

Weekend Yachtsman said...

The English football victor was celebrated in Scotland?

wtf?

Has this tosser ever actually been to Scotland?

In my office, my colleagues have now all removed the Slovenian flags from their desks and replaced them with German ones.

In Aberdeen even the lamp-posts are festooned with "ABE" posters. In case Sir George doesn't know, that stands for "Anyone But England".

subrosa said...

Weekend Yachtsman, remember it was George Younger talking. One of the old unionists who was desperate to keep Scotland in her place so as his government could get their hands on the oil money.

Scotland doesn't have a national anthem. In the case of rugby and now football 'Flower of Scotland' has been adopted by fans but it is certainly not our national anthem.

We do need one but those who make such decisions can't agree. Wasn't it always so?