StatCounter

Tuesday 5 October 2010

The Ryder Cup and 'that' flag

A commenter on this blog made a point that I meant to make over the weekend and yesterday. He said 'What I can't abide is the blue flag with gold stars, and everything it represents. As long as European golfers agree to play under that symbol, I'm afraid I would prefer an American victory.'

I wouldn't go that far but I must admit to trying to ignore the EU overtones added to the European team. So far as I am aware the Europe team is not representing the EU and I deeply resent the use, this year, of the EU national anthem instead of the players' national anthems. I suppose before long the chants of "Europe, Europe, Europe" will become "EU, EU, EU" and then I really will have a loyalty issue.

1 comment:

Grant said...

I always support the Yanks in the Ryder Cup as I feel much closer to them than mainland Europeans and most Brits for that matter.
Does a golfer have to come from an EU country to play for Europe ? I suspect not.