StatCounter

Thursday 7 October 2010

Spending welfare

1) In the UK The Mail reports that:
'Most families who are due to lose their child benefit are worrying about how they'll make ends meet without it.

But for Kelly Marshall, who has five children by four different fathers, the handout has never been about paying for nappies, food and other everyday expenses.

She saved her benefit money to help pay for breast enhancement.

And as many parents envisage tightening their belts after the Tories announced plans to cut the benefit for higher-rate taxpayers, she plans to save more of hers for liposuction and a tummy tuck.

Miss Marshall, who has never worked, rakes in almost £29,000 a year from benefits - and last year spent £4,500 to go from a 34A to a 34DD.

She explained: 'I have wanted a boob job since I was a teen. But it wasn't until I had five children that I could afford it - with all the extra benefits I get. Now I hope to have liposuction, a tummy tuck and regular Botox.

'I thought having children would make my boobs bigger, but that never happened so I decided to do something about them.

'I saved money from my benefits for four months to cover half the cost and put the rest on a credit card, which I pay back with my benefits.

'I know most people will think it is wrong I am spending taxpayers' money on my looks. But I deserve it because I am a good mum. Having children has taken its toll on my body. All mums should be able to have cosmetic surgery.'
Do read the whole piece, it's a doozy...


2) In the USA USA Today reports that:
'The Los Angeles Times is reporting that California welfare money meant to help the needy pay for food, clothes and other essentials has been withdrawn on at least 14 cruise ships sailing out of Miami and other ports.

The news outlet says an investigation of state records found $16,010 of California welfare money was taken out on cruise ships between January 2007 and May 2010 -- in some cases on vessels sailing to such faraway and pricey destinations as Rio de Janeiro.

Results of the investigation, published Monday in the Times' print edition, found California welfare money also had been withdrawn along the Las Vegas Strip, at Florida's Walt Disney World and at other vacation resort areas from Hawaii to the U.S. Virgin Islands.'



What a world.

No comments: