StatCounter

Thursday 9 June 2011

A Conservative Prime Minister with principles; no not Cameron, John Major.

'There is a story that when Bill Clinton invited the leader of the Sein Fein (sic) party and likely the militant IRA as well, Gerry Adams, to the White House on St. Patrick's Day in 1995, and after you refused to take Clinton's calls.

It is a true story. We had been promised by the White House that they wouldn't do it and they did. It is all very well for the White House to invite Adams because Bill Clinton was put under pressure from the Senate. But the money that was being collected in America was being used to blow up British soldiers in Ireland. I don't think people in America understood that. After 9/11, they did. I was beside myself with anger over it. It was a direct betrayal.

Who had promised you in the White House? Do you remember?

I do remember. But I'm not going to tell you who it was. The promise came not directly to me. It came to my chief of staff. You can make your own judgment as to who it was. But it was someone who was in a position to make a promise on behalf of the president and had it delivered. And the promise was explicit. It was not casual. The promise was sought, considered, offered and accepted by us, and then it was reneged on.'
More of an interesting interview at The Atlantic. I wonder when/if David Cameron will ever take a stand over an issue he truly believes in?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, John Major goes up in my estimation !
I am not sure whether Cameron really believes in anything.