StatCounter

Sunday 7 June 2009

It's not all Gordon Brown's fault

Samizdata's Brian Micklethwait reminds us that Gordon Brown should not be made to carry all of the responsibility for the economic mess that the UK is in. He also reminds us that Tony Blair has to carry a lot of the blame. Here's an extract:
"But what matters to me is not whether Brown is now a doomed and hopeless failure, for clearly he is. But how much more of my country will he quadruple-mortgage? How much more of my country's earth will he scorch?

...

My problem was that I did really believe (and do still believe) that when Blair said that he was not in favour of wrecking my country's finances, he did truly mean it. Time and again, Blair outfaced his party with that very proclamation. I don't believe in ruining Britain, he would shout at his massed ranks of idiot followers. So fire me, he kept saying. And the massed ranks of idiots, despite being enraged by this exasperatingly sensible talk, kept not firing him.

My problem was not that I was wrong to notice these protestations of fiscal virtue, or wrong to consider them significant. Where I went wrong was in understanding their actual impact.

I didn't think that Blair was ushering in any sort of libertarian nirvana, no way. Nor was I relaxed about the damage being done by Blair to the legal system and to the criminal law and to the regulatory regime. Europe was, as it remains, a continuing disaster. But at least, I thought, this time around Labour will not smash up everything economically. But actually, the whole Blair "political achievement" made it possible for Labour to break Britain with a ferocity and completeness that has no parallel in recent British history. The more we trusters trusted Labour not to scorch Britain's earth, the more earth they were able actually to scorch, and this scorching, of course, continues."

No comments: