StatCounter

Monday 8 September 2008

Freedom?

The totalitarian freaks in this Labour government are on the move again. This time it is the Department of Health who have been consulting on future tobacco control in the UK, question 12 in their survey is:
"Do you believe that more should be done by the Government to reduce exposure to secondhand smoke within private dwellings or in vehicles used primarily for private purposes? If so, what do you think could be done?"
In other words, let's see if following banning smoking in the "workplace", bars, pubs, restaurants, offices & company cars, we can also ban it in people's own homes. This will be done under the guise of protecting children (will nobody think of the children) but it is about control.

I don't smoke, I have never smoked, I hate the smell of tobacco smoke and used to avoid restaurants and pubs that were smoky, I know that smoking is harmful and I believe that second-hand smoke is a problem. But I am against the State being able to legislate into illegality what people do in the privacy of their own home, so long as what they are doing has no effect on anyone outside of that house.

This is just one part of this government's control freakery; does anyone not believe that following any legislation on banning smoking in the home, there will be legislation restricting the drinking of alcohol in the house if children are present? To be followed by banning drinking of more than 1 unit of alcohol a day, in case the drinker had to drive somewhere. Then they could start to restrict the consuming of unhealthy foods at home; starting with chocolate, animal fats and moving on to all meat. Then maybe they could institute forced exercise every morning ("daily exercise") as part of the fight against obesity. Once again, has someone in this government taken George Orwell's 1984 as an instruction manual rather than a warning?


First they came for the smokers
and I did not speak out
because I was not a smoker
Then they came for the drinkers
and I did not speak out
because I was not a drinker
Then they came for the obese
and I did not speak out
because I was not obese
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me

No comments: