StatCounter

Sunday 11 April 2010

How should I vote in the General Election?

I have just completed The Telegraph's 'How should I vote in the general election' feature and here are my results - I chose not to knock out any party that I would never vote for as I like to see all 'options' - interesting:
UK Independence Party: 78%
British National Party: 69%
Conservative Party: 42%
Liberal Democrats: 29%
Green Party: 23%
Labour Party: 14%

Best Match - UK Independence Party


After the five refining questions I match thus:
UK Independence Party: 75%
British National Party: 70%
Conservative Party: 51%
Liberal Democrats: 44%
Green Party: 37%
Labour Party: 33%

Best Match - UK Independence Party


Very interesting indeed but I take issue with some of the questions:
As an example - Q2: Parliamentary Reform: The number of MPs should be reduced by 10% - Well I would say more than 10% so do I agree because I want to reduce the number of MPs, disagree because I want to reduce by more than 10% or vote open minded? I decided to agree as this would be a start.

What is interesting is that I least match with Labour not the Greens and that I do appear to be further right than I think. What confuses me is the high placing for the BNP, because I think of them as quite a left-wing party economically, so maybe there are not enough questions about the economy and too many about immigration and law & order matters.

So will UKIP get my vote? The problem is that whilst I might match better with UKIP, UKIP cannot win in my constituency (it is a Labour/Conservative battle) and UKIP can certainly not win the general election. Will the BNP get my vote? Not a chance, too left wing and I am not sure if they would like me as a member anyway, although I am sure they would accept my vote. So do I vote UKIP or conservative? Time will tell.

Now back to the golf.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got pretty well the same results as you did. I was rather shocked that the BNP featured so highly in the rankings.