StatCounter

Saturday 27 April 2013

"As a left-wing student, I was given one view of Gaza/Palestine," said Mr Rhodes. "But I realise now that many of those representations were entirely politically motivated."

'Seyi Rhodes travelled to the Gaza Strip in February to film an episode of Unreported World, which airs tonight.

But rather than reporting on a region torn apart by conflict, the programme focuses on the property market
and booming construction taking place there

Mr Rhodes said the experience confounded his expectations.

"Before I started researching, I thought the region was destitute - people living literally hand-to-mouth on aid, with constant security threats. I took it for granted that people would be living in temporary accommodation provided by the UN."

In fact, he found "a growing wealth gap", with ordinary families struggling even to rent but new flats being sold for up to $3 million to wealthy Palestinians with money from abroad or from jobs with the Hamas government.

"As a left-wing student, I was given one view of Gaza/Palestine," said Mr Rhodes. "But I realise now that many of those representations were entirely politically motivated.'

More here in the JC  and on Channel 4  but NOT on the BBC for whom such revelations would be verbotten.

No comments: