StatCounter

Tuesday 7 January 2014

The survivors of Palestinian terrorism deserve recognition too

'In 2003, Shifri Shapira was injured in a terrorist attack and lost her sight. After 5 years of depression, she decided she wasn’t going to let blindness stop her, and she returned to the hobbies she had before she was injured, and even more (“I went back to cooking, and I started painting and sculpting”). In the next episode of Master Chef she will prove to the judges that where there’s a will there’s a way. “I’m not a poor unfortunate, I don’t want to be thought of like that.”

Shifri Shapira will never forget Wednesday March 5, 2003. In one moment her life changed, when a suicide terrorist blew up the bus that was next to her car. In the attack, 17 were killed, and Shifri and scores of others were injured.

“Suddenly you have nothing”

“Before the attack I was very busy, I didn’t have a single free moment. I have a Ph.D. in Political Science and Criminology,” says Shifri, with an admirable calmness, “and suddenly you have nothing. I didn’t want to carry on living when they told me I had been blinded.”

“Five years ago I woke up and said, ‘I have children, I have a wonderful husband (44 years now) and I want to live’,” says Shifri emotionally. “I returned to my love, to cooking.”'


No comments: