StatCounter

Monday 18 August 2014

Posibly the saddest letter I've read for a long time - from Britain's Independent newspaper

Today's Independent, not a paper that I ever read as I find it's incessant anti-Israel tone highly offensive, published an interesting letter today:

I’m just an ordinary middle-aged Londoner.
I work in an office. I go to football. I like eating out. I enjoy the arts. I am a proud family man. I give up time for charity work. I try to be a decent contributing member of society. I pay my taxes honestly. But there appears to be something that sets me and my kind apart.
At park gates in East London a friend of mine gets told to f**k off for photographing a flag. At a pub in Bath my wife gets called scum when she mentions her background.  In a student hall in Manchester a friend’s son is asked to leave as the specially prepared food he chose to eat is not permitted because it carries a label written in a language used by a country that is “banned” by the student union.
In Belfast a historic blue plaque is removed to deny part of my history.  In theatres in Edinburgh and London I am told to denounce my opinions or lose the right to perform. A sportsman in Ireland tweets if he sees my kind he’ll punch us in the face and recommends others follow suit.
Protesters across the country show no shame in shouting that my historical persecutors were right and social media is rife with vitriol towards me (even from so-called friends). And in Bradford I’m told that I am not even permitted to enter the city.
What is this? Racism.  Where is this? Britain and Ireland. When is this?   Now. Who am I? I am a Jew.
Never again, we say, never again.
Stephen Spencer RydeLondon N3
The next letter was on the same subject:
As a Jewish grandfather I recall going to school without guards outside to protect us. I recall walking to the synagogue with my dad, without guards to protect us. And I recall after the Second World War my dad saying to me: “They will not hurt Jews again.”  What has happened to our green and pleasant land?
Jeff BraceyGreat Budworth, Cheshire

I wonder what the usual Independent readers will have to say tomorrow?

No comments: