StatCounter

Saturday 6 October 2007

John Redwood and BBC Bias

John Redwood on BBC bias against him. I have blogged previously about the way that the BBC treat John Redwood re the incessant showing of him not correctly singing along with Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau. John Redwood is more concerned with comparing the way he is introduced with the way Vince Cable is introduced. "Practically every interview I have heard with Mr Cable on the BBC includes reference to his being former “Chief Economist of Shell” (not “Shell International”), often in the introduction. The BBC try to position him as an independent expert who comes from the pedigree of a senior position in a large company. They usually buttress his authority by calling him Lib Dem “Shadow Chancellor” in an unusual inflation of titles.

They do not refer to him as “left wing”, ” Euroenthusiast”, “interventionist” or other ways of describing his political position. I have never seen or heard him introduced with footage or references designed to belittle him or his party.

In contrast I have never been introduced on the BBC as a former senior industrialist/company chairman/bank Director,nor with reference to my current links with the academic world. I have never been asked to draw on my business experience to answer a question in a way designed to give me more credibility with the audience.

I am usually defined by a series of pejorative nouns and adjectives summing up the BBC’s rather distorted view of my political position. Why is it “right wing” for example to want to keep the democratic right to make most government decisions here in the UK?"

John Redwood is entirely correct and the BBC should be ashamed, but they won't be, this is a pre-election period and the bias will only get worse when the election is finally called.

No comments: