StatCounter

Saturday 9 June 2007

Dr Who

A change from the normal topics I cover but tonight's Dr Who was the best I have ever watched and I speak as a long time fan, back to the days of Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. I strayed away during the Peter Davison years and hardly watched Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy. The "new" series have been variable in quality but mostly enjoyable even if there has been rather too much of the Daleks who I believe should only be kept for special occasions. The last two storylines have been really engrossing, The family of blood was good and slightly scary but tonight's episode Blink was absolutely brilliant. I watched it and was transported back to being aged 6 and being scared by the Sea Devils. This episode was really well written, well acted and skilfully directed & shot. I really couldn't look away from the screen. Our neighbours have a statue of an eagle on the wall facing our kitchen, I walked out to our garden and gave that eagle a very long hard stare indeed to see if it had moved. I can't believe that any child of under 10 could have watched that and not have nightmares tonight, but maybe kids today have a higher threshold for terror than I did. I think that the device of having The Doctor not there in person made it that much more scary.

If you have not seen this episode of Dr Who tonight then do yourself a favour and even if you have never watched Dr Who before then watch it on Sunday at 8pm on BBC3. You will never look at a statue the same way again...


UPDATE:
Just woken up after no nightmares about statues, although I have just checked the stone eagle has not moved. Two things bother me about last night's episode of Dr Who:

1) Who threw the rock at Sally Sparrow and why? The weeping angels "kill" by touch.

2) How did the Tardis return to 1969 leaving Sally & Larry behind. The Tardis has never dematerialised in that way before, has it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right, my 8 year old drew close to me on the sofa and watched Blink from under a blanket...

I was too scared to watch.