StatCounter

Saturday 26 December 2009

Air terrorism and airport security

I fly often and get really fed-up with the randomness of airport security. I travel with the same cabin luggage every time I fly and found recently that I had unknowingly taken four flights with a Swiss army penknife in an interior pocket that I had forgot was there and that three different European airport's cabin luggage x-ray machines had missed it. On two occasions I was selected for a search of my cabin luggage and in both cases the penknife was missed and on one occasion one of the compartments of my bag was not even opened up.

Thus when I heard that an Islamic terrorist attack had been thwarted I was not too surprised. Airport security is not consistent but more importantly treats everyone as an equal threat. I and the vast majority of passengers will pose no threat but we are all scanned and searched (albeit often inadequately) whilst the small percentage of threats are subject to no extra checks. Rather than adding more restrictions on the majority of flyers, why not concentrate on the possible threats? The part of The Telegraph piece that struck me was this:
"The suspect was on an intelligence database but was not on the government’s no-fly list, meaning he was known to authorities but not considered a high risk"
I don't want to fly with anyone who is on a terrorist intelligence database whether or not the authorities consider them "a high risk"; do you?

No comments: