StatCounter

Tuesday 17 August 2010

Strict airport security?

I have lost count of how many people I have seen at UK and foreign airports having small quantities of liquids confiscated at airport security because of the checks instigated a few years back. Mostly pointless as I am sure everyone knows, but it keeps the fear levels up and of course allows the state to exert more control over the population. So I was intrigued to read this BBC article that tells this story:
'An airline passenger claims he was allowed to take more than 200 fireworks on two flights in the United States.

Paul Jones, 29, from Rochdale, Greater Manchester, flew across the US from Kansas to Houston and back to the UK with a bag of bangers - and a lighter.

It was only at Heathrow Airport that officials expressed concern, he said.

Continental Airlines said it did not have a record of the incident, but that it warned customers about hazardous materials prohibited on aircraft.

Bangers, which are explosives packed in a small tube, are banned from sale in the UK under The Fireworks (Safety) Regulation 1997.

US Federal law prohibits hazardous materials, such as fireworks, from being included in either checked in or carry-on baggage.

Mr Jones had been visiting Wichita, Kansas, during US Independence Day celebrations on 4 July and was left with the bag of Black Cat fireworks.

Deciding to take them home to Greater Manchester, he did not consider the security implications.

"I put them in my pocket, walked through then put them on a grey tray at the customs and security. They had to go through the x-ray," he said.

It was when Mr Jones arrived back at Heathrow earlier this month that his prohibited goods were discovered by UK staff.

"I was waiting for my suitcase at the carousel and when I picked it up I'd opened it up and put my tobacco and everything inside to carry it through," he said.

"The customs said I was looking suspicious so they pulled me, emptied it all out, and asked me how I got it through customs."

Despite their concerns, Mr Jones was allowed to leave with the fireworks.

In a statement, the Department for Transport's Aviation Desk said it was not aware of the incident, and that it was a matter for the US Authorities.

A spokesperson for Continental Airlines, the airline Mr Jones flew with, said security screening of passengers was the responsibility of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).

"However, our airport agents are trained to respond immediately they become aware of any security breach," they added.

"We warn customers on our website about hazardous materials which are prohibited on aircraft under federal law, and the list includes fireworks."

No-one from the TSA could be reached for comment.'
So most people are prevented from carrying 250ml of water but Mr Jones was allowed through security carrying explosives; security?

No comments: