StatCounter

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Interesting self-censorship on BBC Women's Hour

BBC Women's Hour this morning at around 10:07 had an interesting near slip. Listen you the interviewee say "expectant" but stop herself just in time from saying "mother" and correct herself by saying "woman with foetus".

I am pro abortion, indeed pro late abortion - only slightly tongue in cheek I would say abortion up to the age of 18 years should be possible... But this sort of self censorship really bugs me.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Heard it this morning, didn't catch it all but caught that part.

Before I go on, I'd like to point out that I am opposed to abortion in the majority of cases, as I believe the foetus at all stages is a human life deserving of protection. And as such, that self-'correction' does seem a bit creepy- as if it's tryng to dehumanise the foetus.

Not to mention that what I heard of that segment seemed to completely be biased towards the 'pro-choice' side of the debate, as though 'pro-lifers' were crazy and didn't get a look in. The BBC is supposed to be impartial!

Maybe I should listen to the whole thing though, again, on iPlayer.