StatCounter

Monday 22 October 2012

Schadenfreude

I don't speak German, most of the words and phrases I know come from Second World War comics I read as a child. However I do know one proper word and that is 'Schadenfreude'. If you don't know what Schadenfreude means then let me tell you; it means pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.
The news that the BBC news department is in apparent turmoil gave me some pleasure but then I read that the BBC foreign correspondent John Simpson has said:
"This is the worst crisis that I can remember in my nearly 50 years at the BBC. I don't think the BBC has handled it terribly well. ... All we have as an organisation is the trust of the people the people that watch us and listen to us and if we don't have that, if we start to lose that, that's very dangerous I think for the BBC."
Ah Schadenfreude.

1 comment:

@GhostOfWinston said...

schadenfreude

Example 2

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=10d_1350490125