StatCounter

Sunday 21 February 2010

Just how academically challenged is Gordon Brown?

We already know by his own admission that Gordon Brown
"did maths at school and for one year at university but I don't think I was ever very good at it."
In addition Gordon Brown's lack of expertise in the area of economics (certainly macro-economics) should be clear to all by now.

Yesterday I found two articles that show that he is also a failure in two more academic subjects. The first is History as The Telegraph reported yesterday that "an attempt by Gordon Brown to display his historical knowledge while criticising the Conservatives ran into trouble as he appeared to confuse two great European dynasties." Yes the great historian confused the Hapsburgs and the Bourbons, forgetting his Tallyrand in the process. The second is Geography as is apparent from the Mandrake column in The Telegraph and records that whilst appearing on a phone-in on Real Radio North-East, and discussing congestion on the roads of Northumberland, he assured a listener that he knew the area very well "I was in the Lake District for my holidays this summer and so I saw a great deal of it and my children and my wife enjoyed being in the Lake District very much". Excellent news, Prime Minister, although spoken more like a backward 10 year old writing an essay on "What I did in my summer holidays" than the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, but leaving that aside doesn't Gordon Brown realise that the Lake District is on the west coast of the north of England whilst Northumberland is on the east coast? Maybe Gordon Brown should learn the difference between Cumbria and Northumberland or do all these English counties look and sound the same to this blinkered Scot?

1 comment:

Grant said...

I have a copy of " An Illustrated Guide to the Scottish Economy" ( 1999) which was a gift from one of the authors, a serious economist, Stephen Boyle.

The forward is by Gordon the Moron, in which he states "when I was a lecturer at the University of Edinburgh ".

Problem is , he never was and anybody can check this with the university.