StatCounter

Wednesday 31 March 2010

Why is 'Daily Mail reader' such an insult?

Last night I blogged three pieces of news that came from The Daily Mail, I knew that this would provoke at least one derogatory comment about The Daily Mail and my reading it, and I was not disappointed.

I have pondered before on the way that the British left see The Daily Mail and its readership as something amusing, something that can be instantly discounted, something that is automatically wrong. I suppose it saves them the time of addressing any legitimate problems raised by articles in The Daily Mail.



For the avoidance of doubt, I don't 'take' a daily paper, I read parts of The Telegraph and The Times (for the moment) on-line and dip into The Financial Times (on-line and in its pink version). I also a couple of times a week may skim through The Daily Mail and less often The Sun. At weekends I buy The Telegraph & Sunday Telegraph most weeks and The Times and Sunday Times less often and skim through several more on-line.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DM politically is very Old Tory biased (i.e. English) so Scots & Welsh are more likely to see it as an insult. Also, there are a lot of sheeple around who think it's clever to follow media trends - we are constantly bombarded by the left leaning and metropolitan bias of TV media like the BBC & C4, luvvies and 'celebs' who love to mock the DM in an oh-so-right-on way.

DM circulation figures are still the second biggest by far and have gone down only 10% in the last 10 years. Compare that to the 33% to 50% average drop in the industry and they must be doing something right...
Source: http://pagewithaview.co.uk/2010/03/26/pay-to-read-the-times-newspapers-online/