StatCounter

Wednesday 21 July 2010

NotaSheep and Islam

A comment by regular correspondent Grant on my piece about the media's wanting a moderate Islam got me thinking. Here's his comment:
'This is a really big debate and this blog not the place to have it.
But, no-one can convince me that , let's say, the Alevis and Sufis, for example, are not moderate and tolerant.
There are 2 arguments.
1. Islam is monolithic and all muslims will , ultimately, stand together.
2. Islam is fractured with many different sects and beliefs.
I believe that No. 2 is the reality.
The problem is that the Western dhimmis always support No. 1.
If they really knew the reality of Islam, they would support the "heretics". But, they don't.
Anyway, as I say , this is not the place to expound this too much !'

Food for thought and I will return to this subject in the future, however for the moment I would like to say that yes I realise that there are moderate Muslims and non-practising Muslims. I know Muslims who never go to Mosques and Muslims who go every Friday, without fail. So far as I know, all of these people are peaceful, not anti-Semitic and decent law-abiding citizens of the UK. However I have also met Muslims who were openly celebrating the destruction of the Twin Towers on 9/11 and have redad enough to know that Islam has a problem with radicals and thus the West has a problem with Islam.

1 comment:

Grant said...

I am not sure that whatever the West does will alter the outcome, but appeasement is most definitely not the answer.
When we have a Prime Minister who believes non-muslims should do more to integrate with muslims, you know the writing is on the wall, or should I say, mosque ?