StatCounter

Tuesday 10 August 2010

Grandma's House

Last night the BBC broadcast the first episode in a new sitcom written and starring Simon Amstell. Now before I begin I want to lay my cards on the table about Simon Amstell... When he took over Never Mind the Buzzcocks from Mark Lamarr I was disappointed and didn't 'get' his humour but before long I had grown to appreciate his talents in "taking the piss out of pop stars". So I was intrigued by the idea of him in a reality-style sitcom. Grandma’s House resembled a cross between The Royle Family and Curb Your Enthusiasm and showed that whilst Simon Amstell can clearly write he is not an actor, rather like his character in the show. Some of the one liners were sharp and the North London/Ilford Jewish characterisation were generally oh too recognisable. Were there enough laughs to make this must watch TV for the masses? No. But I feel that Friday night Shabbos tables around North London and Essex will hear many conversations about Grandma's House. Mind you Mrs NotaSheep, not quite so clued up on matters Jewish as I, did take 25 minutes before asking "Are they Jewish"!

No comments: