StatCounter

Wednesday 26 May 2010

Stephen Pound once again shows his sensitive side when dealing with the public

The Pink Paper reports that:
'Labour MP Stephen Pound has been accused of calling Arsenal’s former England defender Sol Campbell a “fairy” during a recent Premier League football match.

The recently re-elected Labour politician is said to have made the homophobic remark when his football team, ­Fulham, failed to overcome rivals Arsenal during a game at the Emirates Stadium in North London, last weekend.

The 61-year-old was heard making a string of offensive remarks whilst ranting from his £35,000-a-year ­executive box.

One Arsenal fan who was present at the match with his wife and teenage son told The Daily Mail: “Usually, if you are an away supporter in a box, you keep very quiet. We were in front of this executive box and I heard a stream of abuse.

“Two ladies behind me said they couldn’t believe the language being used, and that they thought it was coming from an MP. I turned round and recognised Stephen Pound.

“He called out to Sol Campbell ­saying ‘You are a big f***ing fairy.’ I was so shocked that I wrote what he said down in my programme. It was the language of the gutter. He went on to shout abuse at the ref saying ‘What game are you at — you f***ing w****r.’ Then I saw him leaning over the box to make an ­offensive gesture. A steward went up to him to remonstrate.”

Pound, who voted for gay ­equality rights in Parliament, insists his words were not directed at ­Campbell, saying: “I am ­thoroughly ashamed of myself. I didn’t call Sol Campbell any names — I would never have done that. But I did insult the referee because Sol Campbell brought down our striker in the penalty box, but a penalty wasn’t given.

“I am also embarrassed to admit that I gave the ‘coffee bean’ gesture. The steward is a constituent of mine. He came up to me and asked me to keep my language down because there were children present.

“I apologised profusely and said I wouldn’t do it again and sat there with my mouth zipped for the rest of the game. He didn’t ask me to leave but had he done so, I would have.”'
When does the 'recall MP' law come into effect and will it be retrospective to the start of this parliament?



Thanks to Tory Bear for the spot.

No comments: