StatCounter

Tuesday 9 August 2011

'Sincerely' - I doubt it.

Further to the Richard Bacon/BBC 5Live/Doug Stanhope affair. I read that statements have been issued by the BBC and Richard Bacon.

'Statement on behalf of 5 live:
"During a live interview on Thursday 4th August with American comedian Doug Stanhope, Richard Bacon made an unscripted comment referencing an online clip of one of his guest's stand-up performances.
"Richard has apologised for referring his listeners to the video of his guest. At no stage did he or does he condone the offensive material in that sketch, none of which was broadcast on 5 live. It was still unacceptable to highlight the clip and he fully accepts that it was inappropriate. It falls below the standards our audience expects from us and both he and 5 live apologise unreservedly for any offence caused."
Letter from Richard Bacon:
I am writing to apologise for any offence caused by my live interview with the American comedian, Doug Stanhope, on the 5 live radio show on Thursday 4 August.
In order to illustrate the comedic style of Stanhope's stand-up performances, I referenced available You Tube clips. This was a poor recommendation and I whole heartedly accept that this reference was inappropriate because of the subject matter. I full well understand my responsibilities as a broadcaster and such a reference fell below the standards I set myself personally in my broadcasting.
I am sorry if the reference has caused offence to anyone in anyway. I shouldn’t have done it.
Yours sincerely,
Richard Bacon

Does anyone believe that Richard Bacon is 'sincerely' sorry for the offence he caused? I believe he is sorry for the trouble that his sniggering recommendation has caused him and sorry that the BBC have made him apologise, but sincerely sorry for what he said, no I don't think so.

No comments: