StatCounter

Wednesday 16 April 2008

The war on drivers (yet more)

Further to lower blood alcohol limits, redefining potholes and increased motor offence fines, all news stories from the last month; today I learn that a new weapon has been unleashed against the motorist. This time it is a trial of average speed cameras monitoring a five-mile stretch of the A13 between Canning Town and the Gorsebrook interchange in the east of London.

I have experienced driving though areas controlled by average speed cameras, normally where there are roadworks on A roads or motorways. The presence of average speed cameras seems to increase the chance of accidents occurring; I find myself driving with one eye one the speedometer almost the whole time in case I should stray above the usually reduced speed limit. The other thing that happens is that the I, a very law abiding citizen, find myself resenting yet another restriction on their my life and liberty and have to come home and blog about it!

This Labour government and their local authority and police fellow travellers in the war on the motorist and the raising of revenue through fines, will not stop ratcheting up the fines, penalties and restrictions until the motorist fights back.

I am convinced that there are votes aplenty available to a political party which promised to reduce the stringency with which motorists are monitored.






UPDATE:

I think Pete Moore at A Tangled Web might agree with this article. Go and take a read.

For the record I have a clean driving licence now, although I have had a few points over the last 20+ years. Happily they have long ago expired from my driving licence.

No comments: