StatCounter

Sunday 1 May 2011

Why are the Yes2AV campaign the only ones out campaigning?

Our local high street is full of them, the happy smiley faces of the Yes2AV campaigners. Leaflets and badges at the ready they spread their half-truths and lies as they nab unsuspecting passers-by.

"AV means an MP has to get 50% of the vote" I am told by one. Really I ask and explain why this is not the case. I ask him how he feels that one of his leaflet's major claims is wrong, he seems not to care.

"AV means that MPs will work harder" I am promised by one. I ask why this will be the case but he seems unable to explain why.

"Will you be voting on Thursday?" another asks me (they were in four separate camps on the high street). Yes I will I said. "Oh good" I reply. But "I will be voting no" I said. The reply "Why am I not surprised". It seems I look like a nasty Tory not a cuddly LibDem.

"Which parties will benefit from AV and which will not?" I ask a fourth campaigner. There's a lot of umming and ahing; "Will the Conservatives be the biggest losers and LibDems the biggest winners?" I ask. Eventually there is acknowledgement that this will be the case. "Is that why you support AV then?", I ask. There is no reply as he turns away, but I think I knew the answer anyway...

3 comments:

Wes Viola said...

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100507044639AA4VLZu

baa.

opsimath said...

Take a look at SMarkets. Today, May 2nd, £10 will win £110 if the vote is YES. £10 wins you £10 if the vote is NO.

These people aren't in the business of throwing away money - the NO vote is in the bag.

Unless, of course, as Uncle Joe once observed, 'It doesn't matter who votes, or how they vote. All that matters is who COUNTS the votes.'

Not a sheep said...

Or on whose machines the votes are counted?